photo by Marcus Nilsson
- 2 teaspoons allspice berries
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 4 1″ strips orange zest (removed with a vegetable peeler)
- 1 750-milliliter bottle dark rum
- 3 ounces fresh lime juice
- 1 12-ounce can ginger beer
- 2 lime wedges (for serving)
- Special equipment:A spice mill or mortar and pestle
For spiced rum:
Coarsely grind allspice and peppercorns in spice mill or with mortar and pestle; add spices and orange zest to rum and let infuse at least 2 days. Strain into a clean bottle or a glass jar.
DO AHEAD: Rum can be infused 3 weeks ahead. Store in a dark, dry place.
Combine lime juice and 4 ounces spiced rum in a cocktail shaker; fill with ice. Shake until outside is frosty, about 30 seconds. Strain into highball glasses filled with ice, top off with ginger beer, and garnish with lime wedges.